Friday, March 8, 2013

Welcome to this blog!

Welcome! I'm a teacher at a K-3 elementary school and an avid follower of lunch-packing blogs. It's not just the kids who have to pack and eat school lunches---it's the teachers too! I started this blog to provide a glimpse into the school lunch-packing dialogue from this other side.

I am fortunate that my school participates in a healthy lunch program. Students can bring lunches from home, or they can sign up for a hot lunch program that features organic, local fruits, vegetables, grains and meats. A typical school lunch might be whole-wheat pasta with bolognese sauce, banana, carrot wheels and peas. As a teacher, I can purchase these lunches at a discount if I wish.

More often, I pack my own lunches and snacks. I have the same challenges my students do in finding efficient ways to pack everything compactly into a lunchbox. Our school is also trying to reduce waste and both staff and students are encouraged to pack their meals and snacks in reusable containers. I have quite a collection of these and I will be posting some reviews periodically.

That said, packing as a teacher is different from packing as a kid. On the plus, I do have access to a fridge and a microwave. However, I also have a bigger appetite and must try to pack adult meals without drowning in 100 containers to wash! And I also, unlike them, have to watch my weight! I try and keep my meals to 400 calories or less and my snacks to about 150.

What will you see on this blog? You'll see my packed lunches, and maybe some school ones. I might share lunches from my fellow staff from time to time. And  hope to review some of the products that make lunch-packing easier for both adults and kids!

So without further ado, bon appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment