Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Gear Review: Planetbox Shuttle

I am so excited to have a new box! I really love my now-usual Lunchbots but I find that sometimes I want something with a little bit more leak-proofing between compartments. It's hard to pack a wet thing in one half of a Lunchbot and a dry thing in the other unless you use silicone cups or somesuch, which is just more to wash. So I splurged on the new two-compartment Planetbox Shuttle.

It was with some trepidation, too---their Rover model was my big, expensive (very expensive!) lunch gear regret. I felt awful because it seemed every bento blogger in the world loooooved the Planetbox, and there it sits on my shelf, looking pretty, taking up space and never getting used! It's just so cumbersome to pack and wash and use. There are too many compartments, and they aren't quite the right size for me. The big one doesn't really fit a sandwich, the dipper doesn't really hold enough for a soup or salad, and it just never seemed to come together for me. And since the lid doesn't come off, it takes up so much room on the table. I was sorry I bought it, but shipping (both for them to send it, which doesn't get refunded, and for me to mail it back) would have equaled the cost of the lunchbox, so I've kept it hoping for the day it would click for me...

...and then I fell in love with the Shuttle! It's perfect---it's slightly higher than the rover, so two sandwich halves would fit in the big compartment, and the side compartment is big enough to fit a whole cut apple (as I did below) or a smaller fruit portion and something else! I got the model which came with the big dipper (not pictured) and carry case. I am thrilled with it!

I love how self-contained everything was. Nothing leaked between compartments! And it's a flexible system. I found several containers---with lids, even!---which would fit in the big compartment, including my stainless steel ecolunchbox pods. The one downside for me was that the sleek little carry bag didn't have space for any extras like drinks or snacks. But the box did fit in several other carry bags I have so I am not worried. In the summer, I tend to buy snacks on the go (coffee shops won't let you work there unless you buy something!) and during the school year, I can just use another bag (or stick a snack container in the water bottle pocket on my backpack). And it's much smaller than the Rover, so easier to wash, even with the lid to deal with.

In summary---if it's just lunch I am taking and I don't need a full kit, this is my new go-to box. I may even order a second one for the boyfriend, who never packs snacks and only likes one side item to go with his peanut butter sandwich. Now, if only Planetbox would trade in my unused Rover for the second Shuttle so I don't have to pay again...

No comments:

Post a Comment